Monday, March 15, 2010

Computers and health

I don't believe even moderate keyboard or mouse use is good for our hands, wrists, and tendons. I think it goes even further: the shoulders, back, blood circulation, digestion -- the entire body suffers simply because we were not made to be seated for so long. I keep some boxes or other support for my feet under the table and, whenever I can, I put my feet up on the desk. I do this when I need to read a longish web page or document: feet on the desk, the hand near the arrows keys, font size zoomed to HUGE, so I can remove my glasses and read naturally.

Prolonged stress of any kind will hurt us, so reducing the amount of computer input device manipulation is always welcome.

Playing, learning, working, and socializing in the computer age is fun and fulfilling, however, sitting slouched at a computer all day will eventually cause damage to your body. Our entire body is almost totally inactive, except for the eyes and the hands that do all the work. So make sure you learn tricks that will save eye and hand movement! It may seem like nothing, but seconds wasted looking around the screen or clicking inefficiently may add up to hours every week, easily resulting in months over a lifetime...

2 comments:

  1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Physical keyboards are slowly disappearing...

    ReplyDelete