Monday, February 15, 2010

Text substitution

Are you tired of typing common phrases like:

For what it's worth,
If I remember correctly,
As far as I know,
By the way,
as soon as possible.

So am I, so I stopped doing this years ago, that is, after I taught my computer to generate them automatically when it sees btw, afaik, asap, and so on. I type in  a few letters, and watch them as they expand into text strings of any length. Microsoft Word also has this feature, but for me this works everywhere, globally.

Many keyboard macro tools can do this simple substitution. I use Autohotkey (freeware). Here is what the "programming", which can be written using Notepad, looks like:

:*:fwiw::For what it's worth,{Space}
:*:iirc::If I remember correctly,{Space}
:*:afaik::As far as I know,{Space}
:*:btw::By the way,{Space}
:*:asap::as soon as possible.

Even if you have never programmed in your life, you can learn to use Authotkey, but you must put some effort into it! Spend a few hours learning it, and reclaim days of your life for something else other than typing boring, repetitive text!

No comments:

Post a Comment